Can i have ciprox for a throat infection while having wyesolone 5 mg once a day?

can i have ciprox for a throat infection while having wyesolone 5 mg once a day?

Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 2 hours later

First of all, I like to tell you wysolone is the brand name of prednisolone which is a corticosteroid and ciprofloxacin is a fluroquinolone antibiotic.

Any of fluroquinolone particularly Ciprofloxacin when used in older patients usually after age of 50 years there are rare risk of tendon damage (tendinitis, tendon rupture). The risk is increased if the patient in on any kind of corticosteroid.

So it is better to avoid Ciprofloxacin for throat infection when you are on wysolone. In my opinion better choice is cephalosporin or macrolide (like azithromycin) which has no significant drug interaction with Ciprofloxacin.

But in case of drug choice the opinion of your physician is final so please consult your physician for final opinion.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review.

Wish you good health.

Dr Sourav Ganguly