Can i have Augmenten for my diverticulitis flare ups?

Thank you doctor, Im currently in Yantai, China untill the 26th and am experiencing a diverticulitis flame up I only have augmenten with me what do you suggest
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Clear Liquids and Augmentin + Flagyl till 26th. Detailed Answer: Thank you for asking Mr XXXX! I am Dr S Khan and i would like to answer your query for diverticulitis flare ups when all you have is Augmentin in a tour place of Yantai. Mr XXXXX as you have Augmentin so go ahead and take it. Add flagyl/Metronidazole to it if available which i am sure it will be. Get clear liquids only for 7 to 10 days with no solid foods.Give your bowel as much rest as humanly possible. Today is 22nd so just clear liquids with nothing else till 26th with augmentin and metronidazole and the moment you get back, seek a gastroenterologist for further management.Meanwhile Clear liquids and augmentin would suffice.If the symptoms progressed reschedule the stay in Yantai and get back to gastroenterologic facility. Hope it helps.Take care and please close the discussion. Regards S Khan
Follow-up: Can i have Augmenten for my diverticulitis flare ups? 1 hour later
Thank you doctor, since my question there is Amoxicilin here thats avaiable is this better than Augmentin ? 0.25 gm per pill Also I have found that these 2 are also available here * ciprosloxnacin * metronidanzole what do you hrecomend thank you
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Ciprofloxacin plus Metronidazole Detailed Answer: Thank you for asking again Mr XXXX! Amoxil is also augmentin ingredient, In augmentin there is Clavulanic Acid which increases the stay or half life of amoxicillin in the system. You may use augmentin too but a combination of ciprofloxacin and metronidazole is a better option to get diverticulitis managed as Augmentin/Amoxicillin gives a diarrhoea that may be a headache by itself.But Amoxicillin/clavulanic acid monotherapy is acceptable as well. I hope it helps. Take care S Khan