Can i give horlicks to my one and half years old daughter?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
my daughter is one and half years old. (18 months) Shall we give health drink supplements like horlicks
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: no harm Detailed Answer: Hi, You can give horlicks mixed in milk., not in water. However it has not much of nutritional value ---- more for taste. Plain Milk is good enough. You can instead give juices,fruits,vegetables.and other supplements. God bless Good luck Dr uma
Follow-up: Can i give horlicks to my one and half years old daughter? 11 minutes later
thanks dr. she is 18 months and the weight is 8kg only. lean baby but very hyperactive. few drs suggesting vitamin drops . getting mixed kind of opinion. some drs told not to worry. pls suggest.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: wait and watch but keep trying Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX This depends on birth weight. Normally he should be thrice the birth weight by 1 year if age and now at 18 months may be thrice plus extra 2 kgs. Your child's weight should be plotted in the growthchart and serially followed . 8 kg is low for 18 months . Hope his milestones are OK. To increase the weight you should give a high protein high calorie diet. Vitamins will not increase weight but rather a supplement when diet is not balanced. Milk,,pulses( dhals),egg,cheese,etc will give protein. Juices, little extra oil,butter, will give more calories. However if the child is otherwise normal and active, give him more time rather than making it a point of tension for both child and parents!!! God bless Dr uma
Follow-up: Can i give horlicks to my one and half years old daughter? 12 hours later
thanks . milestones are met. from when we can give pediasure
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 28 hours later
Brief Answer: yes now Detailed Answer: Hi, Sorry for the deadly in replying! You can give pediasure now. Again it is like horlicks, very expensive and you can try it for 6 months or so and see whether there is any result. There are ma NY natural alternatives like egg, milk etc . Anyway pediasure is also good. Good luck Dr uma