Can i get infected with HIV even with condom usuage? How long will the virus take to get detected in blood?

Jan 2014

Hi Doctor, I had sexual intercourse with CSW in mid 2011 almost 3 times and all intercourse where done by using condoms. But in one of the intercourse before sex, I had rubbed my penis on the CSW vagina (But at that time I had weared my underwear not condom) and just after that I had sex with another CSW with condoms. Later in 2012 in May, I had done sexual intercourse in Europe again with CSW (I had used condoms). Now considering that my last intercourse was 20 months back. Now I fear whether I get infected with HIV, even if I had used condoms. As sometimes due to some private part touching areas which are disease prone or condoms wrong usage can lead to HIV. Here I really scared after 20 months. On this I have done my HIV test using Rapid method. Basically, I had done two test in fear first on Monday and second in same week Thursday. And in both test results were "SERUM HIV antibodies Non-reactive for HIV type 1 and 2". But still I fear whether in future, is there any chances this disease will occur's to me in future? Secondly, how long this Windows test can last long or how much long time HIV virus take to get detected in human blood in rarest of the rare case....plz help me to guide what should I do further...?
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Window period is 3 months in case of HIV Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at HCM The window period is the time from infection until a test can detect any change. It is 3 months in case of HIV. HIV testing after 3 months of possible infection almost rules out infection. Since your last contact was 20 months back, and your HIV test has come out to be negative, so that rules out HIV infection. regards
Follow-up: Can i get infected with HIV even with condom usuage? How long will the virus take to get detected in blood? 47 minutes later
Thanks Doctor for the reply.. But still there some queries in my mind which haunts me a lot..I request if you can answer them to... 1. After 20 months my Rapid HIV test shows NEGATIVE, is there any chances that using this Rapid test HIV virus does not get detected, some person may due to there strong immune system or might due to some other odd reason.Does such Rapid HIV test are 100% trustful and concrete? 2. Is there any chances I may get infected in future years, as some NACO sites says that HIV VIRUS may get detected after 5 - 7 years. How much is this possibility in rare case? 3. As I bachelor now, after getting married will be there any my future wife and children can get affected? 4. Do I need to do any other test beside Rapid HIV test, to confirm my current status? 5. Like to ask, in rare or exceptional cases.., how long this window period stays and shows later HIV antibodies type 1 & 2. Even if initially you have passed 3 -6 months showing NEGATIVE ANTIBODIES through RAPID HIV test? Request you to please let me know on issue... Thanks ...
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: HIV testing Detailed Answer: Hi. Rapid test is used for screening of HIV infection. It has very high sensitivity (99.9%) and is therefore used for screening The instances which you mention could only be exceptions. I don't think there is anything to worry since you got the test twice and it came back as negative on both occasions. If you are so worried, you can get a different test to rule out HIV infection, RT-PCR HIV Test. RT-PCR HIV is normally done to detect viral load to monitor patients on therapy. take care tregards