Can hypercalcemia be associated with fatigue? I have been just

Endocrinologist
Question
Can hypercalcemia be associated with fatigue? I have been just evaluated with 12.7%
blood calcium reading and I am scared out of mind because of a possible with hypercalemia
with cancer and possible tumor formation. My treating Doctor has indicated to me that she
needs to do more testing to be sure. Can you tell me anything ?
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About high calcium levels;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone through your concern carefully.

High glucose level can cause fatigue, weight loss, and high calcium levels due to dehydration.

Your concern is right because calcium is raised also in malignancy but usually in end-stage disease and in a person who's already diagnosed with carcinoma.

Parathyroid adenoma can also be a cause of high blood calcium that causes fatigue and weight loss.
So, it is a bit difficult to differentiate it without further examinations.

A Parathormone level and HbA1c would be of help to understand better the cause of the high calcium level and the symptoms you described.

In malignancy, PTH is very low ( under 5) and if the parathyroid adenoma is the cause, PTH would be over 70.

Please feel free to attach the results for further information.
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta