Can hydrochlorthiazide be taken, especially if the person's BP tends to fluctuate?

Can hydrochlorthiazide be taken PRN especially if the person's BP tends to fluctuate
Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 53 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Labile hypertension is the term used to describe blood pressure that fluctuates between low, normal or high blood pressures. There may be transient increases that may be substantial.

Previously it was thought that the real danger was in sustained increases in blood pressure however recent studies have suggested that the occasionally increases in the blood pressure could also result in damage to the blood vessels leading to an increase likelihood of complications such as stroke.

A Professor in the UK , Professor Rothwell did a study looking at persons with variation and the risk of stroke. He found that variability was predictive of risk.

It would be best to use your medication consistently, if you find your blood pressure is lowered to the point that you feel unwell, then you may want to speak to your doctor about adjusting the dose.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Can hydrochlorthiazide be taken, especially if the person's BP tends to fluctuate? 45 minutes later
The reason for my question was that I was told by my Dr. to take this medication when necessary, however the pharmacist info states to take daily, and having had my BP falling in the past I was concerned. Anyway thank you for your answer
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later

If your doctor indicated that he or she prefers you take it as needed then you can do this.
It is quite understandable to be concerned if it falls too low as this can be associated with dizziness.

Since labile hypertension is most often associated with a particular set of nerves in the body called the sympathetic nerves. Your doctor may consider using blood pressure medication that blocks this system, at a very low dose so your pressure does not fall too much

Please feel free to ask anything else