Can hormone therapy cure supraventricular tachycardia?

I have a diagnosis of started when I was 49 and no longer had my period. I am now 52 and just started wondering about the correlation of menopause and the svt. I take a beta blocker which controls the rate better when it does occur but it comes randomly, and so far I have been able to convert myself with drinking ice water or making myself belch. Would it help to do any hormone therapy to see if it would go away? Living in fear of these attacks is something that is starting to affect my life. Ablation is not something i want to do.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Regarding hormone therapy, I would not advise this as an option in controlling the svt. There have been no randomized controlled large clinical trials which show any real benefit of hormonal therapy in this setting.

Beta blockers are generally very good options to keep the rate under control. Sometimes a cardiologist may consider using a calcium channel blocker as an alternative or sometimes in addition to the beta blocker.

Ablation science has evolved greatly in the last 5 years and cardiologists are increasingly more skilled at using this technology to treat patients who have difficult to control svt.

I understand the fear that this svt can create as it is so unpredictable. Is there a reason why you prefer not to consider ablation?

I thank you again for your query and I am available here to discuss it further with any followups you may have.

Dr. Galamaga.

Follow-up: Can hormone therapy cure supraventricular tachycardia? 1 hour later
I am a RN and understand risks of procedures but I fear the ablation as most do because of so many life changing negative things that it could cause....mainly making things worse or setting off a new sequence of electrical events. Also, possibly even worse to me is lying on a table for up to 9 hours...unable to move and WHY must I be there a reason we cannot be fully sedated...only in and out of a sedated state??

Also wondering about any vitamin deficiency that might be magnesium?? Or could the loss of my period and thus the SVT both be related to something else? I have never had any menopause hormone markers for menopause were borderline per my Physician, always thought it was kind of strange when my period just went away.. Also, .I am always cold as well and have been negative in testing for hypothyroid. Any thoughts on this or tests you would recommend they do? I am going for a physical next week...
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 14 hours later
Hello again,

Thanks for writing back to me.

It is more optimal for you to be awake so you can subjectively report any sensations of chest pain or discomfort or palpitations which may help guid the electrophysiologist during the procedure. Your hesitation is understandable and I encourage you to continue to discuss this with your cardiologist.

As for vitamins - as long as your levels are normal - potassium and magnesium, then this would likely not be a concern in contributing to the SVT. I really cannot think of a syndrome or categorization of illness where hormonal change and SVT are related to each other or directly to something else.

As for the cold sensation. A TSH is generally helpful but if you are clinically having symptoms suspicious for hypothyroidism - a thyroid panel can be checked where they look at the active thyroid hormone level. Your doctor might consider doing that.

I realize you have a few things going on here but otherwise my impression is that you are extremely healthy.

Lastly as I reflect on your case the idea of anxiety, stress and worry cannot be ignored as it pertains to the unpredictable nature of the svt. This is the reason why I think a stong consideration should be given to the ablation procedure. In my opinion the potential positive outcome outweighs the risks. I am not a cardiologist, however, and I would be interested for you to hear what he or she thinks in relation to this.

I thank you again for submitting your query. hould you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga