Can home remedies treat vulvovaginal gingival syndrome?

I just found out I have oral linchen planus and Iam on a steriod cream, for my mouth, I also have found out I have vulvovaginal gingival syndrome and It all seems so grime. I would like to know if there is anything other than steroids, creams out there? Also just how bad is lp/ vuvlovaginal gingival sydrome, I am pretty scared and need more information, can home remeties help and what are some if they exsist? I was told wants u have this condition you will always have it, is this true? Can a change of diet help, also I only have one kidney do to kideny cancer, so I have to be very careful in health or health relative problems. Thanks
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 6 hours later
Hello ,
Thanks for the query

Immunosuppression causes aggravation of these kind of diseases where there is desquamation of mucosa and skin.

Since you had kidney cancer you must be on chemotherapeutic drugs which might have aggravated the disease.

Patients with vulvavaginal syndrome will have vulvar burning, pruritis, dyspareunia(pain during sex), vaginal discharge , erythema, erosions, vulvar and vaginal lesions.But on taking intra vaginal hydrocortisone suppositories there will be improvement .

You can also follow home remedies like:
1.Eat or apply plain yogurt directly to the vagina. Alternatively, a tampon soaked in yogurt can be inserted.
2. Garlic has antibacterial and antifungal properties. Garlic can be taken orally.
3. Herbs like tea tree oil, black walnut, Echinacea and goldenseal are effective in treating bacterial vaginitis.
4. Use boric acid douche to acidify vaginal pH.- Douche to reduce inflammation Add 12 tsp of calendula to boiling water, steep the mixture and cool it before use.
5. Soak a tea bag in water and cool it in refrigerator and then apply it to the vagina.
6.Drink plenty of fruit juices until the symptoms have disappeared completely as this will help to continuously flush out your urinary tract and prevent the spread of the bacteria

• Excess moisture in the vaginal area can aggravate a bacterial vaginosis infection and so it is important to keep the area free of excess moisture. You can use powder to help absorb the moisture and prevent infection. You can use a medicated anti-bacteria powder .Use cotton underwear and free clothing. Use well washed under garments. Make sure that you use a mild detergent while washing your undergarments. The residue from detergents can irritate inflamed skin . Wash your underclothes in hot water.

• Maintain good toilet hygiene.- Always take a warm bath.-Avoid irritants like scented tampons. Use condoms during sexual intercourse. Clean your vagina area thoroughly after having sex.

• Take care to clean the anal area from front to back to prevent the intestinal bacteria from spreading into the vagina. Make it a regular practice to wash yourself with warm water and soap every alternate day at least as this will help to keep the area free of excess natural oils and discharge.

It is better to consult a dermatologist and an oncologist.

Regarding diet you must take protein XXXXXXX diet and Vitamin B complex supplements.

You can also apply aloe vera cream on the vagina which is very soothing.

Best wishes
Follow-up: Can home remedies treat vulvovaginal gingival syndrome? 18 hours later
Thanks for the input, just how bad is this disease, can I live a regular life? I can't have sex do to the pain, doctors could do a surgery,it could help or it could come back the same way and the surgery they might do is like a hysterectomy which i have already had last year, and I am not on any meds, for the kidney cancer, it was contained in kidney and no chemo was needed that was 9 years ago, their is a problem at the opening of my vagina, the dr called it something but i can't remember what now, i don't know if it's scared or growing together but something funny, it's hard to even do a pap smear now, sex was painful and bleeding did acure, that's when i started getting concerned and this has been going on for sometime now, years. I see pictures of this disease and reading people post on the internet and they talk like it's hopless and they are in such pain and I am scared to death, I know their's no cure but, I need to know or understand more and what to expect and what to do when it happens? on the internet it saids that vulvo vaginal gingival syndrome it a severe and hard to treat, form of lichen planus, which i have lp in the mouth and have had sores bleeding, not been on skin as of yet, had one spot on skin don't know if was lp or not....still feel helpless
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 2 hours later
Hello ,
Without examining it I can't comment upon it as it can be leukoplakia vulva or can be vaginal growth also.
Scrapings can be taken for biopsy to confirm the disease.
I hope you have got your HIV test done as you have gone through two surgeries and must have taken blood transfusions.
You can try these home remedies.
Consult a dermatologist as well as oncologist.
Wishing you good health and long life
Follow-up: Can home remedies treat vulvovaginal gingival syndrome? 2 hours later
I had a biopsy of the mouth and it was erosive lichen planus and 7 biopsies of the vuvla and vagina and it came back as unknown and the drs said with all the eviedence they called it vulvo vaginal gingavial syndrome. I didn't need bleed for some of the surgeries I had and I gave my blood before the kidney surgery. They said it wasn't cancer, Just need more input.
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 17 minutes later
Hello ,
Thanks for the reply.

Lichen planus is an autoimmune phenomenon.In this the lesions are usually red in colour.
There is no cure for lichen planus. It often goes away on its own.

Topical (applied to the skin) corticosteroid: Cream or ointment to reduce swelling and redness.
Corticosteroid: Pills (such as prednisone) or shots can help when lichen planus lasts a long time or a patient has many bumps or painful sores
PUVA therapy type of light treatment .
Retinoic acid- Applied to the skin or given as a pill to clear the skin
Tacrolimus ointment or pimecrolimus cream also applied to skin.
These are the various treatment modalities for lichen planus on skin.

Lichen sclerosus usually causes stenosis of vagina and severe pain and ulcerations.

Treatment is topical steroids.

Biopsy with colposcopy using acetic acid may confirm the diagnosis.

Treatment of all these conditions remain same and that is topical steroids of low potency as high potency may harm and cause more fissuring and cracking.

Neosporin ointment is safe and prevents further infection.

You have to watch for inguinal lymph nodes as they enlarge in VIN.

Gynecologic-oncologist is to be consulted for regular follow ups.

I am always here to help you out