Can home ovulation kit show inaccurate result if someone is already pregnant?

Some home ovulation kits warn of inaccurate results if you are already pregnant. How is this possible.... Is it a - or + or random? I'd like all the info as it is ridiculously expensive to visit Ob and have potentially unnecessary lab costs. Home pregnancy test was negative but it is still prior to the test perimeters, I anticipate my period or something similar to continue regardless since that seems to be common in my family. Two doctors couldn't verify my previous pregnancy until the third doc did an ultrasound. The women in my family all seem to have this issue but all the doctors brush it aside seemingly unconcerned. Thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 22 minutes later

Home ovulation kits can predict ovulation only around 24-36 hours prior to ovulation as they detect the LH surge that occurs just before ovulation. If you happen to have had an unprotected intercourse before this period, the chances of conception exist, which cannot be detected by the test.

Another simple way to detect ovulation and conception at the earliest is by measurement of the pregnancy.

A home pregnancy test is best taken about 3-5 days after the missed period, with a fresh early morning sample of urine. As you say, your previous pregnancies could not be detected at an early stage, the best way would be to go for a serum beta-hCG test which can confirm pregnancy even with a single measurement(if ambiguous, serial titres may be needed). Sometimes, in very early pregnancy, hormonal titres do not significantly rise so as to show in the routine tests; in such a situation repeated testing may be needed.

I hope I have clarified your query. Please feel free to ask if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.