Can hemorrhoids cause your tailbone to hurt? Occasional bleeding, discomfort while sitting for long.

Can hemroids cause your tailbone to hurt? I seem to have a small external hemroid, possibly XXXXXXX as well. No bleeding other than an occasional bit on toilet paper. A little itching. But what concerns me most is discomfort I get when sitting for a long period of time (like at work). Will feel like I need to move my bowels after sitting for an hour or two. I seem to have some mild pain (when I put pressure) on my tail bone (like leaning against a shelf, etc).

I have an appointment with a proctologist, but can't get in until next week, and I'm very concerned since my grandmother died from colon cancer at 48 (I'm 39). In the interim, I'm wondering if these hemroid issues could be a a contributing factor.

Witch XXXXXXX pads seem to help with most symptoms, as does sitting on a "donut" seat cushion for hemroids. Thank you for your time.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 7 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query.

Hemorrhoids do cause pain in the tail bone because of its close proximity to the bone and constant pressure on the bone, even though this pain is very superficial and vanishes as the hemorrhoids heal.

The symptoms described are classical of anorectal problems like thrombosed hemorrhoids/anal fissure/anal fistula. Since there is a visible hemorrhoid, the most likely possibility is a thrombosed external hemorrhoid.

These are classically painful swellings with little bleed and become better with astringents (hazel pads) or cold/hot compresses. They gradually regress as the clot is lysed and stay back as a skin tag.

Just do some sitz bath daily, continue with your pads and avoid constipation or hard stools by taking a lot of fibres. You can also take some anti-inflammatory drugs.

By the face of it does not appear to be a case of colonic cancer and it will be clear with a simple per rectal examination.