Can heavy lifting make an IUD move? Should I be concerned about it moving again?

Infertility Specialist
Can heavy lifting make an IUD move? I went to my general practitioner to have my yearly pap smear. She told me that my IUD had shift down. I was lifting a very heavy load of garbage into my dumpster which caused me to strain a muscle and urinate a little. Should I be concerned about it moving again? Will I need to get another IUD inserted? I've lessen the amount of weight I carry. Also my doctor said that she could see the plastic tip upon examination during my pap smear.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 8 hours later

IUD (Intra Uterine Contraceptive Device) moves little from its position in some women. It is not related to lifting weight. But in the position where it is now, it is safe and will still be active and you will not get pregnant. Hence don’t worry. Reinsert or insert new IUD only if you are feeling uncomfortable. So be relaxed as it serving its function even though it is little low in position. Do your work normally. Heavy Weight lifting is not related to it.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.