Can gout cause tendon pain?

Nov 2013

I have slightly high uric acid doctor says I have gout...I have no swelling just pain in the tendons behind my left knee and the tendons running down the upper left leg in the rear...can gout cause this tendon pain with no doctor has prescribed allipurinol...will this relieve the pain ..its severe at times
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Knee can get affected in about one third patients. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I have noted your symptoms. I agree with you that knee pain is not a common symptom of high Uric acid level or gout. However, in about 30% of people with gout, knee pain may occur. It should be noted, however, that most often it is a knee joint pain, rather than the tendon pain. Allopurinol would lower the Uric acid level and over a period of time, the pain may come down. However, in the immediate period, allopurinol would not reduce your pain. You could take analgesics such as indomethacin capsules to get pain relief. I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist