Can gout be cured completely?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
how to treat gout? Can it be cured completely?
I am asking question for my dad and he is in China now. He has tried both western and Chinese medicine but it doesn't work well and sometimes it really hurts. He is wondering if gout can be curved in XXXXXXX or not.
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes gout can be treated

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case,

Yes gout can be treated with medication and diet restriction.
In gout there is accumulation of uric acid crystals in joint mainly foot. This leads to swelling and redness in foot.
I will advise to do blood inv like complete blood count ,uric acid level

For gout you may need medicine like zyloric, allopurinol and newer febuxostat you can start then according to blood uric acid level consulting his treating doctor.
When pain increases analgesic can be added.

Food to be avoided in diet includes –meat and poultry.
The most abundant source of purines are the full range of meats: beef, pork, poultry, fish and other seafood. Organ meats are especially high in purines and should be avoided completely on a gout diet. When reducing meat, get protein from other sources including low-fat dairy, eggs and plant-based sources such as beans, legumes, soybeans and whole grains.
Alcohol reduces the ability of your body to excrete uric acid via the kidneys and urine. If your gout is severe or you are having an attack, avoid alcohol completely. Increase your daily intake of water. As the water is turned into urine, it carries uric acid out of your body. Institute of Medicine recommends that adult men drink 3 litres of water daily; women should drink 2 litres.
Processed Carbohydrates
Processed carbohydrates and sugars take the place of healthy carbohydrates, such as fruits and vegetables, in your diet.High sugar intake can contribute to obesity, a risk factor for gout. The fibre in fruits, vegetables and whole grains may also help carry excess uric acid out of your body.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Can gout be cured completely? 43 minutes later
Hi doctor,
Thanks for your answer.
My dad is taking allopurinol but he is not getting better maybe because he is too busy on business. There are not zyloric and febuxostat in China. How can I buy those two medicine in America? Do I need doctor's permission? Will it works if he find a quiet place and temporarily get out of work?

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you may need doctors prescription

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Yes you may need doctors prescription to take those medication.

Yes taking rest and following diet restriction will definitely improve his symptoms.

Hope for speedy recovery

Follow-up: Can gout be cured completely? 7 minutes later
Could I ask one more question?

Is it the only way to get those two medicine only if the doctor XXXXXXX my dad? Will I get prescription if I have his reporter copy from China?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
That can be possible .

Detailed Answer:

First you check that colchicine and febuxostat are available OTC near your area ,or you can take them consulting doctor.

Its better to start consulting doctor and then take medication as doses need to be balanced.He may accept copy of china.

Follow-up: Can gout be cured completely? 5 hours later
Thank you very much!
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 10 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer: