Can going out in the heat or taking shower cause non-itchy red splotches all over the body ?

For about 2 weeks my chest and back have gotten red splotches on them, particularly after a shower or getting outside in the heat — then they go away over time. This time, there are a few on my arms and thighs. They do not have the ring appearance of ring worm, do not itch and are only slightly raised. A few have a white pin dot in the middle and others have turned very dry and started peeling. Any advice? Took a Benedryl last night and they were OK in the morning, but came back.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later

From your description the most possible causes in my opinion are-
1. Erythema multiforme.
2. Dermatitis- due to skin infection, allergy,etc.
3. Dry skin- Xerosis.
4. Heat rash.

A direct examination by a Dermatologist is the best way to get it diagnosed.

Most simple rashes improve with gentle skin care and avoiding irritating substances. You can help the improvement by
1. Avoid scrubbing your skin.
2. Use mild soaps. Use gentle cleansers instead.
3. Avoid applying cosmetic lotions or ointments directly on the rash.
4. Use warm (not hot) water for cleaning. XXXXXXX dry, don't rub.
5. Eliminate any newly added cosmetics or lotions.
6. Leave the affected area exposed to the air as much as possible.
7. Try calamine medicated lotion.
8. Hydrocortisone cream (1%) is available over the counter and may soothe many rashes but please discuss your doctor before starting on it.
The patches usually take 5-7 days to disappear.

If the patches become more of purple rather than red then you must consult a dermatologist immediately.

You can mail me the photos of the rashes to YYYY@YYYY with subject:ATTN: Dr Rakhi Tayal as this would help me in providing you with specific suggestions. Please do confirm the mailing of the photos by writing back here as to reply you back at the earliest.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Can going out in the heat or taking shower cause non-itchy red splotches all over the body ? 21 minutes later
Thank you. I felt it was prob. pretty harmless and my mold allergies have been horrible in the past few weeks. Your comment about the warm (not hot) water makes sense why they appeared stronger even though I was soaking in a (hot) bath with Aveno.

I do have some leftover calamine from a bout of chicken pox last year. Should I avoid lotion (Burt's Bees) to combat the dryness? Can they possibly spread by touch or is it simply XXXXXXX (hoping to avoid appearance on the face).

They have faded at the moment, but I will send you a few photos of them as at this lighter presentation to your attention at WWW.WWWW.WW

Many thanks,

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
The rash seems more likely to be XXXXXXX and is not likely to spread by contact.
Hope my answer is helpful. By looking at the pictures, dry skin can be excluded.
You can continue with the steroid ointment.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.