Can glipizide be taken along with generic blood pressure medication?

Question
can I take glipizide along with generic blood pressure medication
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

Yes, it is safe to take these medications together. There is no contra-indication to this.

However, if you do date any drug that ends with -olol like propranolol, please take noted that it may mask the signs of low blood sugar than can be caused by glipizide. This can lead to late recognition and management of hypoglycemias with resulting poor er prognosis.

I hope this addresses your query fully. I wish you well and thank you so much fo rusing our services. Feel free to ask for clarifications if need be.
Dr. Ditah, MD

Follow-up: Can glipizide be taken along with generic blood pressure medication? 2 hours later
I take Atenolol is that a problem

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
No, but you should be cautious

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this follow up information.

It is not a problem but something that you need to know and be very cautious about. It shouldn't require that you stop or switch medications but knowing that you may not feel the classical signs of low blood sugars because of the dampening effects of this drug.

I hope this helps. I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD