Can frequent urination and erection problem be indications of prostate cancer?

I have typically been very healthy. I see my Dr regularly (at least annually). I have not had a prostate exam in 5 years. Last visit, I had perfect blood work, including PSA. Recently, within the last year, I have had slightly more frequent visits to bathroom to urinate, and pressure slowing. i assume typical of my age. Not that bad though. I have never had an issue with erection or sexual activity. Until last night. Started fine, but really could not maintain an erection adequate to complete. i take blood pressure, cholesterol medicine daily and use a testosterone cream (for past year). I see my Dr in a week, but wanted your thoughts. Should I be worried about prostate cancer or is that more rare and my issues are typical for 50 year old man.
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Brief Answer: No indication for it to be a cancer Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. The symptoms that you have stated do not appear to be anywhere related to cancer. Infact, I feel benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH) is the more related diagnosis. At age around 50 years there is gradual increase in the size of the prostate resulting in obstruction to the urine flow and feeling of incomplete evacuation. This is a very common illness and your symptoms do match this particular illness. This can be treated initially with some drugs like Tamsulosin; but if the symptoms are prolonged and not responding to tamsulosin then surgical removal prostate is the next option. Regarding your erectile dysfunction, this condition is not related to your prostate. This seems to be a primary erectile dysfunction with age. I generally order for doppler test of the penis in all patients with erectile dysfunction to look at arterial and venous blood flow of the penis. If your blood vessels are perfect I would start you on sildenafil with close watch on your blood pressure and your heart. You can discuss with your treating doctor. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Follow-up: Can frequent urination and erection problem be indications of prostate cancer? 6 hours later
What would the side effects of surgically removing the prostate be, should that become necessary?
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Variable Detailed Answer: Hello A properly done prostate surgery should not cause any problem to you and you should be able to live normally. The complications that are some times reported are : 1) Urinary incontinence 2) Urinary Infection 3) Problems with erection of penis. 4) Recurrence of prostate enlargement. But in most of the cases, these problems do not occur. Hope that helps Regards Dr. Srikanth