Can food poisoning lead to irritable bowel syndrome?

Hi i ate an expired meat snack (expired for about one year) Ever since then ive had diarrhea everyday for the past two weeks. Am i going to get irritable bowel syndrome for the rest of my life because of this?
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 7 hours later
Brief Answer: If no other problem,you won't get IBS... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query carefully and feel sorry for the situation you are in. I suggest to: - drink plenty of water - take tasectan and probiotics to stop diarrhea and improve intestinal function - be careful with your diet, try to have light meals (yogurt, curd, soups) Once the toxins will be eliminated from your body, the intestinal symptoms will be reversed. You won't get irritable bowel syndrome for the rest of your life. Unless other problems with your GI tract will be diagnosed. Hope it was of help! Dr.Klerida
Follow-up: Can food poisoning lead to irritable bowel syndrome? 1 hour later
I thought food poisoning lasted a few days? It takes a few weeks for the toxins to be completely removed? I was just worried that i may have post infection ibs. The infections being gone and now the intestines just having these permanent symptoms. And what do you mean by if no other problem? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 11 hours later
Brief Answer: IBS is not caused by a past organic bowel problem. Detailed Answer: Hi, The toxins have been eliminated within few days, but their effect on the intestinal mucosa is lasting until now. It will take few weeks for the intestinal mucosa to get back to its normal functioning. Please bare in mind that IBS is not caused by a past intestinal infection. IBS has nothing to do with organic problems (which are causing during poisoning or infection). IBS itself is considered as a functional disorder and not organic. Hope it answered to your queries! Dr.Klerida