Can flu shot and topical steroid,used the same day cause health risks?

Hi! I just got the flu shot today. I hadn't remembered at the time of the shot but used topical cortisone this morning for a bug bite, is it a problem?Why are steroids contraindicated when having a flu shot?
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer: they are referring to oral steroids Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic There are different formulation of steroids but in the case of the flu vaccine, they are referring to ORAL steroids. Topical steroids are not significantly systemically absorbed and would not have any effect. Steroids alter the immune system and it is possible that persons on long term oral steroid use can have an altered response to the vaccine. The same is not necessarily so for persons who are only using a short course of oral steroids. Your use of a topical steroid is not going to affect your flu shot. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions