Ask a Urologist   »  

Can flotral be consumed lifelong?

I am 67 yrs male consuming FLOTRAL 10mg since last 6 yrs. Can i continue for lifelong?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 54 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Flortal contains Alfuzosin which is used for the symptoms of enlarged prostate as urinary frequency,urgency,weak stream etc and it relaxes the bladder muscles so helps in urinating.
It is associated with side effects as low BP,headache,dizziness,respiratory infection etc.
I hope you are taking it under a Medical supervision.The drug can be taken after proper follow ups as in the long term prostate can cause issues as increase in size or any growth may develop.The drug and dosage should not be stopped or adjusted by itself and only after proper evaluation it can be decided regarding its use and continuation.
If the tumour markers and prostate size are fine then there is no harm in continuing the medication.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up if any.