Can fever be caused due to severe heat in the environment ?

ENT Specialist
My son is 11,was out in the heat today and sun and has had a hi temp, 102.5, and is not sweating, although we are forcing liquids. His heart rate is 125... should we do more?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 58 minutes later
Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Thanks for your query

The symptoms are suggestive of " Heat stroke" or in a more general term, we say " dry hot man".

Let me discuss about this condition-

The part of human body that remains in direct contact with the environment, changes its temperature as per the environment. But the inner organs is not affected by the rising 'surface temperature'. Thus saving the inner structures of the body.

However if a person get exposed to extremely high temperature for a long time especially on a dry day, the surface temperature of the body increases abruptly leading to increase in core temperature. This can lead to the following symptoms:
1. High grade temperature.
2. Severe muscle cramps( both legs and hands)
3. Abdominal discomfort.
4. Generalized weakness.
5. Increased Heart rate due to fever and so on.

The symptoms gradually come down as the surface temperature is reduced. So do not worry.

I suggest you to follow this-

1. First Aid measures such as-
- Vigorous cold water sponging.
- Give plenty of fluids.
- You may try praracetamol containing medications such as tylenol.

2. Consult a physician as soon as possible for evaluation and fluid and electrolyte replenishment.

Do not worry, he will be all right. Heat strokes are curable with early treatment.

Hope I have answered your query adequately. I am available for follow ups should you have any.