Can female reproductive system be damaged while liposuction? Can it cause infertility?

Is it possible for a surgeon to damage the female reproductive system during liposuction? Could this cause infertility? Can it be repaired?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know whether the procedure has been done. This will help me in suggesting you better:

There is a possibility that Pelvic Organs be damaged during Liposuction of abdominal Fat. It all depends upon the expertise of the performing surgeon. If excess fat has been removed from the abdomen, the usually soft abdomen may be sexually repulsive for the partner as abdomen will become firm and hard. Also removal of fat from mons pubis will make intercourse painful.

Liposuction doesn't cause Infertility per se, except in cases of gross damage to pelvic organs.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: Can female reproductive system be damaged while liposuction? Can it cause infertility? 5 hours later
The procedure was done last March. It included a tummy tuck. We do not know if there was extensive damage done to the pelvic organs. The procedure was performed in the Dominican Republic for approx. $3,000 by a doctor with good recommendation. Appearance-wise, it came out very good, but soon, we will want a child and have not been able to conceive.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 30 hours later
Hi ,

Thanks for writing back.

I still stick to my above mentioned fact that infertility is not a expected complication in liposuction unless there is a extensive damage to reproductive tract .I would suggest you to get a Ultrasound scan of the abdomen and pelvis which can show if any damage has occurred and whether it being the cause of failure to conceive.

The treatment of the problem depends on the exact cause or damage if any .

Hope this helps.