Can extensive golf practise cause pain in left triceps shooting up to chest, left shoulder and back ?

I have pain in my left triceps that shoot up into my chest and left shoulder and even to my back. The triceps muscle is tender from the middle down to the elbow. Pressing on it exacerbates the pain. Usually NSAIDs take care of it but not always. I practiced a lot of golf last weekend so I am assuming this caused it. I am 64 and do not exercise regularly. What can or should I do about it?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 48 minutes later

From the description, it seems that you have developed a muscle sprain or tendinitis, that could have resulted following the golf sessions.

The best thing to do , is to avoid excess use of the left arm and if possible use a elbow splint for a few days, to allow proper healing of the muscle injury.

Use of NSAIDs for severe pain, might be useful, in addition to application of heat packs.

In case, the pain does not subside or worsens, in addition to development of weakness of the arm, you might consult a doctor for a examination and proper advice.

I hope this helps.

I will be available for further questions if any.