Can excessive masturbation cause tiny amounts of blood in the semen upon ejaculation?

Question
Dr. Can excessive masturbation cause tiny amounts of blood in the semen upon ejaculation?
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Yes, excessive masturbation can lead to minor abrasions in the urinary tract which sometimes bleed and present with blood in semen upon ejaculation.

Masturbating every alternate day can be optimal and healthy, anything more that can cause complications.

Such abrasions can act as portals for entry of infection. Drinking ample amounts of water can reduce the chances of infections through the abrasions and reduce the risk of bleed by promoting healing.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please do let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Can excessive masturbation cause tiny amounts of blood in the semen upon ejaculation? 3 hours later
Thank you Dr.
Is the explanation you are referring to differ from
Hematospermia? I have noticed that there has not been any blood in my urine or subsequent blood in any other instances of ejaculation.

Is there any additional comment or recommendation that you could provide?

Best regards

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 18 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Hematopsermia is presence of blood in the semen, the cause of which can be anything and anywhere from testis to the urethra.

Since you say that there is no blood in the urine , causes other than mechanical trauma to the urethra during masturbation cannot be considered.

Based on your history, I could think of the only possibility , but its always better to rule out other conditions causing blood in the semen. One such cause is infections in the testis or prostate , physical examination would be the best way to rule out both. Do consult a Urologist who can help you in this regard.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Can excessive masturbation cause tiny amounts of blood in the semen upon ejaculation? 2 hours later
Thank you Doctor. You put my anxiety at ease.
One last query, would such infection such as of the testes or prostate require constant bleeding? Meaning would I not have to bleed at least frequently unlike this one isolated incident for it to be consodered at least an outright symptom of such type of infection?

Thank you once again

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Infections in the testis or the prostate, if associated with structural damage to the gland can lead to opening up of small blood vessels resulting in episodic or less frequent bleeding.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.