Can estrogen intake lead to increased risk of another PIC developing?

Infertility Specialist
Hi Doc. I've recently had BSO and cyst that turned out to be Peritoneal Inclusion cyst removed. Now I'm experiencing surgically induced menopause symptoms. My GP & GYNO ONC has said it will be ok to take oestrogen, but I'm concerned this might increase the risk of another PIC developing. Along with this query and as PIC's aren't common I'm also wondering where to find the most recent research reports 'cos google searches are pretty hit and miss. Would my GYNO ONC be offended if I asked him. Many thanks
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: rare Detailed Answer: Hi As you rightly said PIC are and has nothing to do with menopausal state or estrogen deficiency. These have very less possibility of occurring again. Scientific evidence is less. You can search in for accurate scientific information. Let me know if you have any more questions. Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Follow-up: Can estrogen intake lead to increased risk of another PIC developing? 42 hours later
Thank you for responding Dr Koregol. My understanding of the information available says that PIC's have a 30-50% chance of recurring - but it doesn't indicate who would be in the 30% or who would be in the 50% ranges or why there's such a big difference. From your response, are you indicating that post-menopausal would be in the lower recurrence range? I found some review from Dr XXXXXXX Vallerie, a PIC review, on but only the abstract is available and I have emailed Dr Vallerie for a copy of the report - no response yet. It seems that this condition is quite rare with numbers of 130 being reported from both 1990 and more current reports - surely the numbers and information on treatment must have developed over 20 years? Many thanks for helping with my concerns.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later
Brief Answer: No chance Detailed Answer: Hi, This PIC is mainly formed by the ovarian fluid secreted by the ovaries which is absorbed by peritoneum. Since you have undergone bilateral removal of ovaries i dont see any chance of recurrence in your case. The recurrence can only be seen in cases of premenopausal women and not in women whose ovaries are removed. I hope Dr. XXXXXXX sends you article for further reference. Let me know if you have any more queries. With warm regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol