Can epiglottis be affected by the sore throat and bacterial infection?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello, my wife was diagnosed with a bacterial infection last week so we figured I'd be next in a short time. Yesterday morning I woke up with a sore throat and didn't feel so great. I took my daily pills, High blood pressure, & statin, and went back to sleep. When I woke my throat was extra dry, most likely made drier by medications, it felt like everything was stuck together in the back of my throat. A quick cough loosened it all up but then it felt as if something were stuck in there like a piece of food. As I tried to clear my throat and cough, etc. to try to clear it, it felt like my epiglottis was loose and coming forward. That freaked me out so I stopped trying so hard. Now it's been a day and it feels like the epiglottis is loose and wants to slide forward if I lean my head forward. Can the epiglottis be affected by the sore throat and probable bacterial infection? I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow but am kind of worried. What do you think?
Posted Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
A mild sore throat can cause a swelling, inflammation and a rough sensation in the back of your throat and epiglottis. This can lead to the symptoms you are having.
For sore throat relief you can have salt water gargles (gargle with XXXXXXX warm salt water- one forth teaspoon of salt would be enough in half a cup of water) several times a day, lozenges and warm liquids. Gargling with warm water mixed with dissolvable aspirin can give additional benefits.
Avoid Acidic Drinks, Spicy Food and Sour Substances.
Consume plenty of water and good fruits and vegetables.
Antibiotics - broad spectrum are a must if you worsen - develop high grade fever, severe pain while swallowing and so on. So seek prompt medical help as and when required. Proper antibiotic therapy will help you in faster recovery.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.