Can endometrial hyperplasia cause weight loss?

Can endometrial hyperpalsia cause weight loss? I loss a lot of blood due to my condition can this be a reason for my weight loss?
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later

Endometrial hyperplasia cannot cause weight loss. In fact, endometrial hyperplasia has obesity as one of its causes. It occurs when there is excess activity of estrogen in the body either from within as seen in perimenopausal and menopausal stages, in polycystic ovarian disease, infertility and obesity; or excess use of estrogen-like medications or estrogen supplements after hysterectomy.

As the endometrium is thickened, there is more of shedding at the time of menstruation and this leads to heavy periods. This could lead to anemia but weight loss is not seen as a direct consequence of such a situation; it may be secondary to the general condition.

You should consult a specialist to understand the cause of your endometrial hyperplasia and get treated. You should also improve your general condition by taking healthy diet and nutritional supplements.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be ready to help.

Follow-up: Can endometrial hyperplasia cause weight loss? 15 minutes later
Thank you very much. Can you give me some reasons for unexplained weight loss? Should I be worried if I lost 13lbs in 4 months without trying ?Is 122 lbs a healthy weight for a height of 5ft 5 inches?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 21 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Unexplained weight loss has many reasons-to mention a few-hormonal disorders, autoimmune diseases, tuberculosis, HIV infection, cancers and depression.

At present, you have a BMI (body mass index) of 20.36 and this is very much in the normal range of 19-25. A loss of a significant amount of weight like you had should be investigated. It could simply be heavy work load and insufficient diet, but, chances are better not taken. Please see a physician and get examined.

Hope I have made it clear. Please get back if you have further queries. I will be ready to help.

Wish you good health.