Can edema be the reason for a lump in the head?

my wife fell in February of this year and hit her forehead on a broken concrete curb. it left a ring
about 1 1/2" on her forehead with a .5" lump forming recently at the rt. edge of the ring . The ring
is hardly visible and the lump has receded as well. she has had no symptoms of a concussion. the lump was tender when it appeared.
she will see her family doctor, an internist ,in 3 1/2 weeks. is endema a possibility? is a scan in order?. anything to do right now?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
From your description it seems that your wife has suffered a minor head injury.
An impact on one side of head must have caused a small hematoma or a minor fracture of skull that would have healed spontaneously by now.
Now after such a long time, you can get her examined for any neurological deficits. You can also self monitor her for any bad symptoms like unconsciousness, severe headache, blurred vision, bleeding from eyes, nose or ears, vomiting, etc in which case you need to rush to ER immediately.
Right now if she is feeling alright then there is nothing to worry.
A physical examination and a CT/ MRI head is done to rule out any subdural hemorrhage. Symptoms of subdural hemorrhage have a slower onset than those of epidural hemorrhages because the lower pressure veins bleed more slowly than arteries. Thus, signs and symptoms may be delayed.
You can go for her routine check up after 3 1/2 weeks.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.