Can drinking and smoking cause brain damage?

Dear Doctor, My father has been admitted to hospital for kidney failure, high blood pressure & he is unconsciousness from past 1 week & he is on ventilators. When i spoke to the doctor, he says there is no improvement & he has a brain damage also. What should I do at this moment as it is difficult to take any decision. Please guide me as I am still feeling if he can improve atleast once. He had gangerene 6 mnths bck n also had alcohol, cigarette & salt consumption. I have a corporate insurance & it will not be affordable to pay if he has expired due to these reasons. Can drinking n smoking habits cause his death. please help me doctor.
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: You Need to discuss with your doctor in charge Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. Hi , I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern. He is in a critical state and , there can be multiple reasons for his problems. Kidney Failure if has occurred can be "Acute" or "Acute on chronic kidney disease" So, tell me , if he has pre-existing kidney disease. Any previous history of Hypertension or Diabetes. Gangrene of foot is mostly due to 2 reasons: 1. As a complication of diabetes 2. As a result of peripheral vascular disease due to smoking. Alcohol directly does not usually involve kidney's as such. But it can cause liver dysfunction and can cause kidney failure as an entity of Multi organ system failure (MODS). If he had no previous kidney issues , current deterioration is unlikely to be due to alcohol or smoking. So, the insurance companies would follow the diagnosis , that has been declared by your doctor in charge. So , discuss with him , that what actually caused this condition. Also ask him by saying that his brain is damaged , he means to say he has some clotting / bleeding there (Cerebro vasular accident) or some thing else. With the available information ,i am unable to comment further that what actually lead to him in this state. This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any query you may please ask me. Stay Healthy. Dr Anshul Varshney , MD
Follow-up: Can drinking and smoking cause brain damage? 1 hour later
Doctor his kidney was damaged earlier also whn he was admitted 10 yrs bck doctor had informed him to reduce salt n alcohol consumption bt latr he was the same. My insurance is a company insurance of a public sector company .
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Details follows Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX It seems he has Acute on Chronic kidney disease. In this situation if this has been disclosed in his insurance policy previously that he has kidney problems and he consumes alcohol then this should not be a problem. If earlier the facts have been hidden and your doctor declares these facts in his reports , then they may create problems. I think you should get your policy details and discuss with your doctor in charge. He will guide you the best. I wish he gets well. I hope I am able to answer your query , still if you have any query ask me.