Can drinking alcohol during early pregnancy effect baby?

Nov 2013

my wife is about 3 weeks pregnant we barely found out today, she had three alcoholic drinks last night. Will that hurt the babys development or health in any sort of way?
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: There is a slight risk to the baby. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. A single drink may not harm the baby's growth or development, but there is a slight risk. The main adverse effects due to alcohol intake by pregnant mothers noted are on baby's brain development, leading to learning disability, behavioural problems, depression, anxiety, etc. In some babies, facial deformities may occur. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG:
Follow-up: Can drinking alcohol during early pregnancy effect baby? 1 hour later
does it make a difference for better or for worst the fact that she consumed alcohol early in her pregnancy? also when will i be able to know if the baby is safe from any harm due to her alcohol drinking?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Baby's brain development, along with development of other vital organs, occurs during the first 12 weeks. Therefore the chances of harm to the baby is more if the mother drinks during the first 12 weeks. However, one isolated drink may not cause harm. Ultrasound examination of the fetus done during 16-18 weeks of pregnancy would be able to pick up harm to the developing baby, if any. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM