Ask a Urologist   »  

Can "doxycycline and lactic acid bacillus" capsules be used to treat UTI ?

Question
I had symptoms of UTI since evening like going to toilet every 10 - 15 mins. Have burning sensation in the vagina while peeing.
My question is can "doxycycline and lactic acid bacillus" capsules be used to treat UTI ?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later

The first thing I would suggest you to do is to confirm the diagnosis. You can get a routine urine examination done which will show pus cells and protein in the urine. If it is actually a fluoroquinolones like ofloxacin, balofloxacin, etc. for the treatment of urinary tract infection. Doxycycline is not preferred by most doctors for treating Urinary tract infections. Lactic acid bacillus capsules might help in relieving symptoms to some extent as they will act to enhance the normal urinary tract flora. But these will not stop the actual process of infection.

I encourage you to consult your doctor. You could get the urine tests under their guidance. They would also prescribe you the antibiotics.

In the meantime, for symptomatic relief,

Take plenty of fluids - atleast 2 litres of water every day is a must.
Plenty of fresh cranberry juice might also help you with urinary infection.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Regards.