Can dopamine receptors be blocked due to long use of codeine?

Nov 2013

i have been a codene addict for over 7 years but i have just gone through de-addiction and im sober for 60 days now, but i really dont enjoy anything at all. nothing makes me feel good. i dont like doing anything other than laying in my bed and watching tv. i suspect that heavy usage of codene over so many years have blocked my dopamine receptors.

my question is, can dopamine receptors blocked due to drug addiction be revived completely after the addiction is given up? ive heard about dopamine agoinst but can they repair the condition forever and if so please suggest a good dopamine agoinst and recommended dosage. thanks

also is there any diagnosis to determine, how much dopamine is being produced in my brain
Posted Wed, 5 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I am glad that you have been successfully de-addicted for codeine addiction of seven years duration. I appreciate you for that.

Based on your symptoms, you have features of depression. For this, you are already on good antidepressants (Nexito plus).

Dopamine receptors blocked due to addiction can be totally revived after the addiction is given up.

Good dopamine agonists available in India are ropinirole and pramipexole. The starting dose are 0.25 mg twice daily for ropinirole and 0.125 mg twice daily for pramipexole. However, these are prescription medications, and you should consult your doctor before you start them.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow-up: Can dopamine receptors be blocked due to long use of codeine? 4 hours later
Thank you very much Dr. XXXXXXX I appreciate your detailed reply. Your reply is very satisfactory. I just want to ask one more question, how long should a dopamine agonist course be generally? or if you could tell more specifically in my case, where i have been abusing codene for 7 years, consuming an average of about 2 codene cough syrups daily. Thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Thank you for getting back.
Dopamine agonists are very safe and it can be used for a long time.
The duration of treatment depends on the symptoms, and can be decided by the treating physician, based on your symptoms.
I think about six months treatment would be sufficient.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)