Can disc herniation get worse with a fall?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I herniated l4-l5 in 2011. Since then a few times a year I have l4 radiculopathy which lessens with meds and time. A few weeks ago I slipped and fell on ice in my driveway. Since then the pain into my right buttocks lateral thigh and down past my knee is excrutiating. I also have numbness in my foot. My PMD said it's too soon for another MRI last one was 7 mths ago. I have apt with neurosurgeon in 3 days, I am a nurse and can't work taking pain meds....the symptoms increase drastically with activity and upon awakening, My question is.... do you feel another MRI is in order and could I have herniated worse with the fall? I finished a pred taper 4 days ago with no improvement...I am ready to fix this disc issue!!
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Possibility of disc herniation getting worse. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. There is quite possibility of disc herniation getting worse with the fall. I feel that you need an MRI to determine the level and degree of disc herniation after examination of your doctor. Take adequate rest and proper nutrition . Drink lots of fluids since dehydration affects the disc. Avoid forward bending and heavy weight lifting. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care