Can diet and certain medications like cadelim help in curing candida overgrowth?

Hi. I have two children and before the first one was born about two and a half years ago I was told I had group b strep. Since then I have been on several antibiodies during pregnancy and during delivery for both children. When my daughter was born about a year ago I noticed she had thrush when she was about two months of age. About a month or two later I found that I had white on my tounge as well. I have been to the doctor and they have done several tests thyroid kidneys diabetes hiv and many others but everything was fine. I read online that I could have a candida overgrowth since the antibiodies don't seem to help me. It says that only diet and certain medication can get into areas where the candida is hiding out. I think I should add that my symptoms are very minor and I am the only one that knows that I have this condition besides my husband. However I am very concerned and the other doctors don't seem to know what to do to help me. I guess what im trying to say is have you seen this before and can diet and certain medications like cadelim make me better or is there something else wrong with me. I am very concerned now that this has been going on for several months. Anything you could tell me would be most helpful. THankyou so much
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Candida is a normal skin resident of humans Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for consulting us. Let me tell you one fact. Candida is a normal resident of our skin. That means, we all carry it on our body. When our immunity is some how disturbed ( by for e.g. antibiotics, pregnancy, any other infection, Diabetes, HIV, or other chronic diseases) it overgrows, other resident organisms & exhibit it's presence as thrush. This is one of the commonest infection seen in pregnancy & also oral thrush is quite common in young children. Thrush or Candida infection can easily be treated by Antifungal drugs. For oral thrush Anti-fungal drops are used & they are highly effective. No preventive medications or diets can be recommended, only the above mentioned conditions which predispose to Candida should be avoided if possible. You can't eradicate it from your body as it is a normal resident of human body. Hope I have provided you with the desired information. Please write back if you need any further help. Wish you all the best. Take care.