Can diabetes lead to complications in embryo transfer?

Infertility Specialist
Hello, I have an embryo transfer in two days and have just heard that sugar can effect implantation. Can you advise if this is correct please?
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: diabetes? Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX I read your query and I understand your concerns. Following is my reply: 1) Uncontrolled diabetes does hamper implantation process in a small way. 2) If your diabetes is under control, there is no need to worry. Let me know if you have any more queries. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Follow-up: Can diabetes lead to complications in embryo transfer? 5 minutes later
Thanks but I am not a diabetic. I do eat a bit of sugar though.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Dont worry Detailed Answer: Hi, If you are not diabetic then there is nothing to worry. You can eat what ever you like including sweets. Just follow doctor's advice on medications and take rest. Just be relaxed. Regards
Follow-up: Can diabetes lead to complications in embryo transfer? 7 minutes later
Are you sure? This is what I read... WWW.WWWW.WW Sugar may contribute to infertility?! That’s right, consuming sugar regularly may lead to infertility, or make fertility issues you already have worse. As we move through the holiday season, we are bombarded with little treats filled with refined sugar at every turn. The cakes, cookies, cocktails, wine, fudge, candies; the list goes on. So why even care, are we not supposed to enjoy ourselves and indulge a little? Well, while that me be fine for others, if you are struggling with fertility issues, it may be a good idea to look into alternatives to sugary foods, most importantly refined white sugars. This includes white table sugar, white flour, white corn (including corn syrup, darn no pecan pie!), white rice and alcoholic beverages. Most treats we love are made from these ingredients. High-fructose corn syrup is found in most pre-packaged foods at the supermarket! The Cascade of Fertility Problems Created by Sugar Hormone Disruption Food containing these ingredients are broken down quickly by the body, this raises our insulin levels too quickly. But how does this affect my hormone levels? This quick spike in sugar levels creates a ‘high’ in our bodies that last from 15-30 minutes. After that, our sugar levels plummet, leaving the body drained and exhausted. This creates what is referred to as ‘fight or flight’ reaction in the body, due to continued stimulation of the adrenal glands. This drop in sugar levels, signal the adrenal glands to release the hormone cortisol and adrenalin in an attempt to replenish sugar levels. Repeated stimulation of the adrenal glands to release cortisol and adrenalin, weakens the adrenal glands. Hormones produced by the adrenals are not produced in abundance; the adrenals become sluggish. This may lead to hormonal imbalance. Not enough hormones are being produced or released. Other endocrine glands are not being signaled to release their hormones and the entire communication of the endocrine system becomes broken. All of this repeated adrenal stimulation affects the hormone levels of estrogen, progesterone, and the androgens DHEA and testosterone. This goes for both women and men. Insulin Resistance The pancreas secretes insulin to convert the sugar in our blood to energy in our cells. Over consumption of sugary foods, requires the pancreas to release more and more insulin. Over time, continued release of too much insulin may create insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is known to disrupt normal ovulation by preventing the body from ovulating, or limiting the maturation process of the egg. Insulin resistance also may disrupt the ability of the egg to implant in the uterus after conception. Women with insulin resistance are 4-5 times more likely to have a miscarriage. Insulin resistance is a key factor for most women with PCOS.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Wrong information Detailed Answer: Hi Unfortunately the information you have read is wrong. Insulin resistance in PCOS is different from eating sugar in NON PCOS patients. Normal person body has capacity to metabolize sugar unlike PCOS patients. Above information is false and misleading. Be relaxed. Let me know if you have any more questions. Regards