Can delayed perid be due to pregnancy inspite of repeated negative urine pregnancy tests ?

Hi.i had my last periods on march 28, 2011, then i had protected sex on april 8, 2011. i havent got my periods till now.. i have done around 5 urine pregnancy test to confirm but all have been negative.. my usual period cycle is around 27-32 days. i also consulted a doctor, i was prescribed to take meprate for 5 days..the course finished on may 6, 2011. when can i expect my periods ?? i am very worried.. plz help.. also are there an chances of pregnancy ?? on may 7, 2011 also urine pregnancy test was negative.. plz help ..i am getting very stressed.. also my periods have never got delayed for so long.. the longest ever was 34 days.. i dont know what to do ?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 1 hour later

First of all i would like to assure you that you are most likely not pregnant as all your Urinary Pregnancy Test are negative.

Now let me address your other concern i.e. delay in your periods.

There are many reasons for delay in periods other than pregnancy.

1. Stress
If you are experiencing stress for any reason, be it work, family, friends etc. They are known to cause delay periods. This includes change in work timings and travel.

2. Medications
If you are taking any medications that you were started on recently. This may be a possibility as many medications have been shown to delay periods.

3. Significant changes in weight.
If you have either put on or have lost significant amount of weight this could also be a reason for delay in periods. As it takes time for your body to get adjusted to your new body composition.

Tab.MEPRATE which contains medroxyprogesterone brings about menstrual bleeding works only if the menstruation cycle is arrested in its midway. But if the menstruation process itself has not started then Tab.MEPRATE is of no help in such cases.

If you still feel that you need further assurance. I suggest you to consult an Gynecologist, who will do an local examination if required and also might ask you to get few investigation like based on the examination findings done. So as to arrive at an diagnosis for the delay in your periods.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.