Can dehydration affect beta hcg levels?

May 2013
Can dehydration affect beta hcg levels?
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

normally dehydration may actually show increased levels of beta HCG in urine and possibly in blood also because as it will increase the concentration of fluids low levels also may appear as high,

by 5.5 weeks fetal pole has to be noticed in ultrasound generally, may be your recent illness might have affected the growth of the baby,
so better to repeat ultrasound after one week to come to a conclusion regarding the growth of fetus.

there are few cases in which low levels of HCG without doubling in required time came to normal after few days,
so let us hope for it.
meanwhile you continue your regular medicines.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Follow-up: Can dehydration affect beta hcg levels? 1 hour later
When you say low HCG levels, do you mean under 1000? My current HCG level taken today is 1974, it was 1324 on 7/11, 674 on 7/9 and 70 on 7/2. Also, how could my sickness have affected the growth of the baby? Could it have been the antibiotic I was given in the ER? I was given Zithromax. I got sick on Sunday 7/8 and went to the ER on Monday 7/9. I was given fluids via IV and an antibiotic and tried to make sure I stayed hydrated once released by drinking water/gatorade and powerade. If my sickness slowed the baby's growth, will the baby have a chance to catch up? Is there anything I can do to help if that is the case.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 16 hours later

according to your gestational age at present beta HCG levels are normal,
means by today as it will be 5.6 weeks means 41 days from last menstrual period the HCG levels should be around 1080 IU/L,
reference: WWW.WWWW.WW
but they are not getting doubled in time according to your previous reports,
sometimes as I told they can improve and pregnancy can progress successfully.
but we cannot completely rule out the possibility of miscarriage, so frequent monitoring is necessary.

the sickness can affect the general health of mother who will supply nutrients to baby, so because of deficient nutritional supply baby growth can get affected.

zithromax contains azithromycin which is category B drug in pregnancy means no fetal risk detected in animals but human studies are lacking, so possibly it may not affected your baby,

with proper nutritious diet, hydration, regular medication and rest the baby can improve the growth,
so you better undergo repeat ultrasound and hcg levels after one week which can detect the progress.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.