Can damage to optic nerve make the eye look sunken?

Can damage to the optic nerve change the look or shape of your eye to make them look more sunken in? If not, what causes sunken eyes induced by toxins/drug use?
Posted Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
A damaged optic nerve is not likely to cause the sunken appearance of the eyes.
The sunken eyes are most commonly caused by dehydration, anxiety, stress, anemia, allergic causes, acute weight loss, etc.
Drug abuse or toxicity might cause dry eyes making them sunken looking. Most commonly these effects are reversible after taking plenty of electrolyte XXXXXXX fluids like garotade.
Consulting an ophthalmologist will help in detecting the exact cause and specific treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Can damage to optic nerve make the eye look sunken? 15 hours later
Thank you for your answer. I have been drinking plenty of fluids for two months now. This was caused by sleeping pills i quit taking two months ago. Does this mean my eyes are stuck looking like this? They look so bad, much different from my healthy eyes.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If this has happened due to the effect of medicines, then it might take some time to reverse. You can get yourself investigated to rule out other causes like anaemia. These changes are reversible but will take some time. Please do not worry.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.