Can crystal meth be taken with Amoxiclav?

Excellent
Question
is there an additional danger of consuming crystal meth whilst on a course of the antibiotic: co-amoxiclav
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Drug Abuse

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Crystal meth use is not recommended while on antibiotics like co-amoxiclav for many reasons. It can interfere with the absorption and metabolism of the drug in the gastrointestinal tract by affecting the enzymes needed to absorb the drug.
This can slow down the amount of time it takes to begin working properly to fight the infection.
Crystal meth use can also slow down the healing process of the body, which results in a longer recovery time.
If the antibiotics cannot be absorbed properly and your white blood cells cannot fight the infection because of the drug use, then your chances of a quick recovery from an infection are decreased.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Can crystal meth be taken with Amoxiclav? 41 minutes later
This does answer my query, thank you.

I have a follow up question regarding the point about "... interfering with absorption and metabolism of the drug in the gastrointestinal tract by affecting the enzymes needed to absorb the drug."

Given that Crystal meth is usually introduced to the body via injection or inhalation, does the above statement continue to hold true? Are the additional issues to consider in this case?

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Yes. Even if it is taken by inhalational or injectable routes, it reaches the blood circulation and affects the enzymes present in liver for metabolism.
You can stop the use of crystal meth for at least two weeks while taking the antibiotic.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.