Can croup disease continue into adulthood?

Wow! This is nice . My question -can croup continue into adulthood? I had it every yar as a child .When I get a cold now, it quickly goes to laryngitis but this year it feels like croup! The bark, etc.Has been persistent for over a month now, despite medication.Suppose I should enter what I've done already. Mild cold late Dec returned in 2 weeks with ear and sinus pressure. Mucus was still clear but went to doctor -given Levaquin as he suspected it had become infected.Feeling better post-anti biotics but cough will not go away. Having to take regular doses of antihistimine, decongestants, guafinesin and dextromethorphan not to cough my lungs out. Congestion seems limited to upper airways, bronchiat and trachial tubes. Becomes extremey spasmodic to the point of feeling I may pull a muscle! And that familiar "bark".
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
Brief Answer: No, Croup not seen in adults Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Croup is almost never seen in adults, though conditions which resemble symptomatology can affect the adults. Some of the conditions which resemble croup are Bacterial Laryngo-tracheitis, isolated Epiglottitis, Laryngeal diphtheria etc. Since your symptoms have got down after a antibacterial, I suspect your problems to be due to bacterial infection rather than viral as in croup. I recommend continuation of the antibiotic course for complete cure and prevent recurrence along with symptomatic treatment. Steam inhalation with eucalyptus helps well in conditions affecting the lower airways. Hope, I answered your query. Regards,