Can cortisone shot for arthritis in shoulder causes high BP?

My father received a cortisone shot for arthritis in shoulder yesterda Today his blood pressure is 180/90 and pulse at 90. Average bp is usually 140/80 and pulse 55
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Cortisone shot increased blood pressure... Detailed Answer: Hi, The increase in blood pressure of your father is due to cortisone shot. So, I suggest to consult with his cardiologist to add more antihypertensive medications. To my opinion, the goal is to keep your blood pressure <130/85 mmHg. I would suggest to add diuretic together with calci-blockers. In your case, beta-blockers are contraindicated. Hope it answered to your inquiry! Feel free to ask me other questions you might have! If you are satisfied with my answer, please close this thread and kindly review my answer. All the best to your father and you all! Dr.Benard