Can consuming alcohol cause spinal stenosis?

Spine Surgeon
Can consuming alcohol cause stenosis to cause more pain?
What spurs on pain and what are the remedies. I have had to steroid shots in L-5
Posted Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 2 hours later
Alcohol does not cause spinal stenosis however it definitely changes the perception of the pain by brain. Alcohol has no effect on the spine but it acts on the brain.
Please elaborate on your problem so that I can help you better.
Why did you take steroid shots at L5? Was it a nerve root block?
If you have MRI images then please upload the images to know more about the severity of the stenosis. Usually we give epidural block in case of stenosis. You can try pain medicine and muscle relaxants to relieve the pain.