Can combination of Clonidine and Amlodipine be the cause of low BP and drowsiness?

Question
I HAVE BEEN USIING CLONIDINE FOR YEARS.. RESENTLY MY BLOOD PRESSURE HAS RISEN.. MY DOCTOR ADDED AMLODIPINE..I STARTED FALLING ASSLEEP WHILE READING ,DRIVING (THIS ONE REALLY SCARED ME) MY DOCTOR BELEIVES THIS ADDED MEDICINE GOT MY BLOOD PRESSURE TO LOW ( TODAY98 / 50 ) CAUSING OXYGEN LEVEL LOW.. WELL TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF NO AMLODIPINE. CAN YOU HELP OR HAVE THOUGHTS OR SUGGESTIONS. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME..................... XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Amlodipine Detailed Answer: Hello.Delighted to be able to help. It seems that the combination of amlodipine and clonidine decreased your blood pressure excessively(causing fall, drowsiness ...) What dose of amlodipine your doctor prescribed? If amlodipine prescribed was 10 mg per day, an option is to reduce the dose to 5 mg per day.If amlopdipino prescribed dose was 5 mg per day, the option is replace amlodipine by another drug with less effect on blood pressure for example hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg, 1/2 tablet per day. I Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.If you do not have any clarifications, please don’t forget to evaluate my answer.I wish you good health.