Can coconut oil be taken if you are on warfarin?

Can coconut oil be taken if you are on warfarin? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can take them along. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into the query I will like to tell you that there are no documented interactions reported between use of coconut oil and warfarin. The efficacy of warfarin gets affected by products which have vitamin K . Since coconut oil components do not contain vitamin K like effects it is not likely to cause any harm while you are taking warfarin. Sudden changes in diet can affect anti-coagulation control in a patient taking warfarin thus to be on safer side, after starting taking coconut oil, get your coagulation profile checked to see if any dosage adjustments of warfarin are required. In case you have deranged INR kindly see a doctor . Take care. Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Can coconut oil be taken if you are on warfarin? 1 hour later
The only reason I am suspicious of coconut oil is because my INR has indicated that my blood is the thinnest it has ever been in five years and I have just been taking the coconut oil for 3 months. I have not made any other dietary changes. Thank you for your assistance in this matter.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear sir, There is a range in which INR has to be kept and if you think it is more , then the dose of warfarin needs to be reduced . Dont worry such adjustments are quite common and lot of factors affect them . Well it doesnt look to be because of coconut oil . Dr. Shruti