Can coconut oil be taken along with warfarin?

Hello, I wish to start taking coconut oil but I am concerned whether it will be ok as I also take warfarin.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sheetal 48 minutes later

Sudden changes in diet can potentially affect anti-coagulation control in a patient taking warfarin. Such interactions may lead to an increase in the blood INR (international normalized ratio), putting the patient at a risk of developing a bleeding event.

There are reports about interaction of warfarin with certain foods such as cranberry juice, grapefruit juice and foods containing large amounts of vitamin K such as liver, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.

As such, there is no proven interaction between warfarin and coconut oil.

However, if you are planning to introduce coconut oil in your diet, I would advise you to monitor the activity of warfarin in your body by getting your blood INR tested. You may need to consult your doctor for the same.

Checking your INR more often will help to ensure that an adequate and safe level of anti-coagulation is maintained.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.