Ask a Urologist   »  

Can cloudy and smelly urine accounts for UTI?

My urine is cloudy and smells like "horse sweat". Is it just a UTI?
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Get your urine analysed Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this cloudy urine and the abnormal smell which have probably raised some disturbing questions on your mind. A UTI is clinically suspected fro symptoms of frequent urination in small quantities and pain during urination. THis is confirmed by a urine analysis. Without symptoms, the possibility of an infection are very very small but still remains real. There are other possible causes of the change in the colour of urine like the presence of proteins in urine. So from the colour alone, we cannot for real tell what the possible cause is. Considering the above, I will suggest that you get your urine analysed. depending on the preliminary findings, a plan would be established and possible causes further investigated. It could as well not represent any abnormality at all. I hope you find this helpful.I wish you well. Feel free to ask for clarifications and further information if need be. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD