Ask a Dentist   »  

Can clarithromycin cause hiccups? Prescribed by dentist as preparation for implant.

clarithromycin 500mg can this cause hiccups.
I went to the dentist yesterday to have a chirurgical work. Pr├ęparation for implant but before he had to up the sinus who was too low and there was not enougth bound..
He gave me some m├ędications:
23 ran-clarithromycin 500mg for ten days
4 pms-dexamethasone for 3 days and
24 apo-ibuprofen
I slep very bad during the night. After supper yesterday I began to have hiccups that last 15 minutes and rebegand after 10 minutes. To day it is still the same thing. What can I do.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

Hiccups induced by claritromycin is a rare adverse reaction but has been reported in the literature. To stop these hiccups, the first treatment is that you need to replace the antibiotic clarithromycin with some other suitable antibiotic after consulting your dentist.

Your dentist can choose the drug best for you if the symptoms are persistent after stopping the drug.

For short term relief, you can suck on a lemon, have short frequent meals, hold your breath for a few seconds whenever hiccups start.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.