Can chronic pain cause tachycardia for extended time?

Can chronic pain (been in a long Fibro flare for awhile now) cause tachycardia for extended time?

My 24 hour halter moneter showed average of 102. High being 158 / low was 84. I got put on betablocker. My blood pressure is also higher than my normal. It's still within normal range, but I've always had low BP.
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see below.

Detailed Answer:
Respected Ma'm
1. Whenever there is a tachycardia, we first of all determine the type of rhythm by looking at ECG. If it is simply an acceleration of the normally formed heart beats (sinus tachycardia), which is presumably your case, then we look for an inciting cause.
2. Pain, chronic or acute or acute on chronic (flare-ups) can result in increase in heart rate. This is reactionary and normal response of body.
3. Cymbalta (duloxetine), amitriptyline & requip (ropinirole) can all result in tachycardia. Although it is present in less than 1 prescription out 100 for each of them.
4.Beside, more than desired effect of synthroid will result in tachycardia. It can be ascertained by thyroid hormone profile.
5. Increased blood pressure (BP) may occur with less than or more than normal thyroid hormone level, with episodes of pain and therapy with cymbalta/ amitriptyline/requip. Although with last three drugs it is mentioned as an uncommon side effect.
Hope this helps.