Can chlamydia be acquired suddenly and then passed on?

Recently, I inquired about Clamydia another question. I have been monogamist for 3 years. Is it possible my partner recently got the clomydia and passed it on to me ? Or could he have had it at the beginning of our relationship and I just got it recently?
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Saul Weinreb 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using XXXXXXX I would love to help you Iit is certainly possible to have chlamydia for some time and not transmit it to a partner. however, the longer one is together with a partner, and the more often one is exposed, the more likely it is to transmit the infection. after three years of unprotected intercourse, it is extreme unlikely that it wasn't yet transmitted. therefore, the chances that he had it from a previous relationship but didn't transmit it to you until now is almost zero. he almost certainly got the infection from a more recent exposure. however there is another possibility. if you haven't been tested in the last three years, then it is possible that he had it from before, and that he transmitted it to you years ago. that is possible because many people don't develop symptoms for a long time even after they are infected. however, if you have tested negative in the last three years, then he must've gotten it from someone else more recently and given it to you. I hope this makes sense and that it answers your question. please let me know if you have any more questions or if you need clarification.