Can cervical spondylitis causes high BP and how to treat this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Good morning I have a problem since 6 weeks till now . I am suffering from hight blood pressure it is always 140/100 . Before the 6 weeks it was very normal (120/80 & 120/70) . Also i began to feel some neck problems also since 6 or 7 weeks & it was diagnosed with Cervical Spondolysis e neck muscle spasm . I went to my cardiologist & i did a lot of cardio exam like EKG , Stress test , Echo & everything is very normal . He prescribed me a medicine for the hypertension called Natrilix SR (Indapamide) it is a diuretic medicine for 2 weeks then he will stop it to me to see if there will be any BP elevation . Today is my 4th day on this medicine but till yesterday my readings was 140/100 . My question is can the neck pain cause blood pressure to raise ? Can the BP increasing due to the stress & depression cause i had a problems since 2 months ago in the work & exams ? Can this medicine begin to work after 1 week from using it as i red in some blogs ?
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Persistent pain can lead to raised blood pressure Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. Yes persistent pain in your body can lead to raised blood pressure. So for your cervical spondylitis you can take analgesic and neurotropic medication. Till time, avoid lifting weights, Sit with support to back. You can consult physiotherapist for help. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief. I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level. Yes stress and depression can raise your BP; anxiety may lead to high diastolic BP too Lifestyle changes and diet modification help in maintaining blood pressure in normal range. Making lifestyle changes is an important first step in the treatment of high blood pressure. In some patients, lowering sodium and alcohol intake, keeping weight in the ideal range, engaging in regular aerobic exercise, and stopping smoking may be sufficient to control high blood pressure. Such lifestyle changes can lower blood pressure as effectively as therapy with one blood pressure-lowering drug. Alternative therapy like meditation, yoga also helps in maintaining blood pressure. Indapamide may start working in 1 to 2 weeks so you can wait till time if no improvement then you may need some more medication from your treating doctor. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.