Can cervical epidural causes tinnitus, tingling in face and mild sinus?

May 2014

I had a cervical epidural this morning. It almost 13 hours later. I am experiencing some sever tinittus and numbness/tingling in my face (below my nose, lower lip, lower left cheek) I also have the sensation of mild sinus drainage/irratation. I also have a mild headache
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read your query in detail. There are some clarifications and suggestions as per the situation you are in. Situation 1: If you are still having an infusion pump and catheter for cervical epidural: Please have the infusion pump stopped and catheter removed. Knowing the last dose of epidural is important (I assume it is 13 hours as mentioned). The catheter might be causing nerve irritation and hence your symptoms. Situation 2: If you only have an epidural catheter: Discuss with your doctor and person who is treating you to get the catheter out, the symptoms might again be due to the nerve irritation. Time since epidural is important. Situation 3: If you do not have an epidural catheter right now and it has been 13 hours since removal: Such side effects can be seen in patients for up to 2 to 3 days after last dose of epidural. However you must report this to your doctor and take any counter medications if felt necessary. These symptoms are variable from patient to patient after epidural. You should always keep your doctor informed if you are under any medications such as blood thinners. These symptoms should subside in 3 days time. Should there be increasing severity of symptoms please contact your doctor immediately.immediately. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek